Friday, June 3, 2011

How can I change rear brakes on a V6 1999 Ford Mustang?

I have recently changed my front brake pads, but when I tried changing my rear ones I wasn't very successful. Every time I raise the car my rear wheels keep lowering and does not allow me to take the tire off. Am I doing it wrong? If so what are the steps and tools needed? It is rear drive, automatic, and is California Emissions. Plus where is the smog pump located?How can I change rear brakes on a V6 1999 Ford Mustang?Lift it by the axle. When U do that they will not drop away from the car. Lift in the middle under the rear Diff.How can I change rear brakes on a V6 1999 Ford Mustang?Put a jack under the axle or just keep going higher with the jack where it is if you can. The factory jack isn't very safe but it should get the tire off the ground if you have it in the correct spot. You gotta be able to change a tire with it.How can I change rear brakes on a V6 1999 Ford Mustang?go with putting the jack on the of the rear end.[I/] 9mm, 7mm for the bleeder valve and a c-clamp to compress the caliper. If you possess a caliper compressor this is easier. A great place to get many answers is 3.8mustang.com or .mustangforums.com

the smog pump will be located in the front of the engine and will have a pulley. There are only a few things that operate off the belt: watter pump, alternator,power steering, idler pulleys, and a/c.How can I change rear brakes on a V6 1999 Ford Mustang?You need to lift the car at a proper jack point and place a jack stand under the rear axle. Do one wheel at a time. If it's drum instead of disc, take a pic of the assembly before removing any springs. clean it first so you can identify the springs by color.



Block the front tires as you will need to release the emergency brake out change the shoes. I don't think there is a smog pump on that year. The smog was changed to catalytic converters and fuel injection systems.How can I change rear brakes on a V6 1999 Ford Mustang?The rear caliper pistons do not press in. They must be screwed in. If you try to press them in you will damage the park brake mechanism. There are a few different tools made for this from $15.00 UP To $100.00. I have used a large pair of c-clip pliers in a pinch.