Friday, June 3, 2011

I bought a 2005 suzuki s40 bouelvard and I was wondering if I should change brake pads?

I dont really know much about brake or brake pads but if they need changed I would like to do it. The front brake squeaks a little when I hit the front and I dont know if thats supposed to happen or if the pads need changed. I dont know how to tell if the pads are worn or not and I dont know how to get the caliper off either. Any help would be appreciated.I bought a 2005 suzuki s40 bouelvard and I was wondering if I should change brake pads?Brake pads are manufactured with a groove in the middle of that material that serves as a wear indicator. If you look in the side of the caliper, you should see this groove. If it is not there, then the pads are worn and need to be replaced. Also, there is a metal tab attached to the end of the backing plate on the pad assembly. When the pads wear down, this tab will contact the rotor and make a sound much like fingernails across a chalkboard. if you hear this noise, then that should also tell you new brake pads are in order. And one more thing, when you do the pads, inspect the condition of the rotors. The surface that the pad contacts on the rotor should be smooth and shiny. If you see gouges, grooves, or roughness in the rotor, the rotor might have to be replaced also. You do not want to cut corners when servicing brakes. Bad brakes on a car makes it dangerous and even life threatening so make sure your brakes are as good as you can get em.