Monday, September 19, 2011

How can I 'unfreeze' my brake calipers on my Pontiac Grand Prix?

My mechanic is telling me he can't open the calipers to change the pads or replace the rotor. He is telling me that he has to replace the entire front brake system. I can drive and have functionality because of my rear brakes but am driving very little until I get the front fixed.



Is there a way I can manipulate the calipers to 'unfreeze' them, ie, get them moving again? I have replaced brake pads with no problem in the past so have a little knowledge and am unwilling to pay $500 for what my mechanic says has to be done (at least at this point).



Please note that the car sat with very little driving done for several months, from about May to Oct 2007.How can I 'unfreeze' my brake calipers on my Pontiac Grand Prix?If the mechanic can't get the calipers off because they are frozen they most likely need to be replaced.

If you can get the calipers off, take one off at a time and try pushing the piston back in using a large c-clamp. You can also try pushing on the brake pedal with the caliper off to try to break the piston free before using the c-clamp to push the piston back in. Just make sure you have someone watch the piston to see if it moves and don't push the pedal much or the piston will blow out.

The bottom line is if you are replacing the pads and rotors you will probably end up ruining the new parts prematurely because the old calipers will hang up and destroy the pads, taking out the new rotors.How can I 'unfreeze' my brake calipers on my Pontiac Grand Prix?also remove break line from caliperr and see if fluid comes out by lightly pushing down on break pedal with hand,if u want to bleed breaks,put a piece of 2by4 behind break pedal to avoid damage mastercylinder

Report Abuse

How can I 'unfreeze' my brake calipers on my Pontiac Grand Prix?If the front wheel rotates you can remove the caliper. Sometimes a ridge will form on the edge of the rotor, it should just break off or you can grind or file the ridge off. Now rotate the wheel so the removed ridge is under the caliper. The caliper will now come off.

You can replace the calipers and rotors yourself with loaded calipers, new rotors and flexible brake lines(recommended) for less than $200 total.How can I 'unfreeze' my brake calipers on my Pontiac Grand Prix?Re; thebax2006's suggestion to hit the brake pedal with the caliper off the rotor, put some blocks of wood where the rotor (and/or pads) would be, so the piston doesn't pop all the way out. And keep your fingers out of the way!How can I 'unfreeze' my brake calipers on my Pontiac Grand Prix?You will need to remove the caliper and most likely replace it. The piston is probably frozen and if you unfreeze it, you may damage the seal, resulting in brake fluid leakage.How can I 'unfreeze' my brake calipers on my Pontiac Grand Prix?Your mechanic isn't trying to screw ya.Rebuilt calipers are not expensive. If money is tight, do it yerself. =^ )How can I 'unfreeze' my brake calipers on my Pontiac Grand Prix?You can back the calipers up enough to take them off and replace them, but theres no way your going to unfreeze them and not replace them