Monday, September 19, 2011

How do I change the rear disc brakes on a ford focus st170 52 plate?

Hi I have changed the front disc and pads on my ford focus st170 but the back are a nightmare I gather I have to somehow adjust the cylinder back (that looks like a castle) but after turning it and turning it I am not getting anywhere does anyone here know how to do it?How do I change the rear disc brakes on a ford focus st170 52 plate?you need a tool to do this properly, its like a mini threaded press that forces piston back as it winds.if you try using molegrips or similar you usually end up damaging the piston seal and then after a while it will start to stick,

you can buy this tool for about 20, halfords or somewhere, aslo fits a few other makes too. if you dont lay out money for it then it will cost you more if youre pistons seize up.

basically you need to force piston back at the same time as you turn it,( clockwise)How do I change the rear disc brakes on a ford focus st170 52 plate?The rear calliper pistons screw back in but they are left had threaded so you need to turn them the %26quot;wrong%26quot; way to get them back in.While your turning them put thumb pressure on the centre of the piston to get it going back in Once its fully back in and slipping over the brake pads turn it out again until it just grips the pads. Hope this helpsHow do I change the rear disc brakes on a ford focus st170 52 plate?the rear are more difficult than the fronts for more obvious reasons, parking brakes. some cars have sensors that put the rear brakes on when the car is put in parked, so chock the front wheels, put car in neutral, and you can start working on the rear brakes, i replaced both rear calipers and one rotor in the rear of my 99 ford taurus, my problem was that the calipers extended so far out that the pistons would not screw back inHow do I change the rear disc brakes on a ford focus st170 52 plate?You can try asking at a focus owners club like this one it is quite new but they are very helpful. http://www.focusoc.co.uk/